Saturday, March 10, 2007

American Night

This weekend, the Americans all decided it was important to teach the Scots something about American drinking. Here, drinking is a national passtime. Everyone is expected to drink. It's an emblem of Scotland (and Ireland). Drinking is basically a national tradition. Well, we do it a bit differently in the States. Instead of being satisfied with sitting around and drinking, we need some sort of entertainment to keep us energized, or else we just get tired. Hence the use of drinking games, which are basically non-existent here.

Tara, Becca, Matt and I agreed to get plastic cups, ping pong balls, and cards for games of Kings/Circle of Death, Drunk Driver, Trapped, and of course...beer pong. We bought beer (cider for me) and started the festivities after 10pm.

First we played Circle of Death, which was quite hilarious. It was a good warm up. Ross, providing ping pong balls by way of the hollow plastic "widgets" found in Guiness cans, watched us and laughed at us and played with the music. Then we set up for pong. Matt and I beat Tara and Becca, but Callum and Daniel were somehow able to beat me and Matt, even though they had never played before (being Scottish and Spanish, after all).

After that, we were content to just finish slowly the drinks we had racked up in pong, playing trapped and drunk driver with Tara as dealer. We all went to bed around 2am.

Everyone took it easy Saturday, and tonight we saw Outlaw. The movie trailer was better than the movie, and the jumpy screen and closeup shots made the girls kind of sick. A waste of four pounds. :(

Anyway, this weekend was fun, but I NEED to get work done (or at least started) before I leave for Ireland on Thursday. I bought a tiny notebook to keep as a journal while traveling without my laptop, so I'll be able to update at the end of the trip. But my NH essay is due 23 March by 5pm, and I have an oral presention on DH Lawrence to give at 3:00 the Tuesday after Ireland (the 20th), so I need to prepare that BEFORE I leave. Blast.

My new favorite word: Scaffy (a word one would use to describe gypsies, according to Ross).

In a sentence: Stop cheating you scaffy bastard!

-A-