Thursday, February 8, 2007

snow

Last night when Matt and I walked to Sainsbury's to buy groceries for dinner, it was bitterly cold. (I'll just go on a tangent here to mention that steak, aspargus, onions, and mushrooms cost us under $10, so it was a $5 meal each, very nice I must say). Anyway, when we were leaving we saw that it was pouring snow.

It was night, so the sky was completely black, and the snow was so beautiful and clear against it, and coming down heavily. Not only that, but it was sticking. The ground was covered, as were cars and benches. It was so exciting! It nearly never snows here and it's supposed to snow all weekend!

I don't remember being this excited about snow as a kid - well, not past the first snowfall of the year anyway, or snow days - but here, it's always welcome. It makes me remember being a kid. It makes me want hot cocoa, heavy sweaters, and a good book. I at least had cocoa when we got home.

Walking home I didn't even feel the cold, it was so pretty. I took some photos this morning but most of it had melted. And there were flowers blooming! Who ever heard of flowers blooming after snow?! But so pretty!

Day after it snows
Flowers poke their bright heads out
To welcome the sun

(Haikus are fun.)

Anyway, I think I'll continue to enjoy the good mood snow puts me in. It's always great to look for an excuse to love the weather here.

I will upload photos after my class tonight.

-A-