Sunday, February 11, 2007

Rosyth and Kilts

We have a ball coming up! It is a traditional Ceidilh, pronounced "cay-lee", which is a special kind of romping Scottish dance. It's a black tie affair, so the guys have decided to all go in...dresses.

I mean kilts, of course.

On Friday they decided to go Saturday and be fitted for hiring kilts. Kim and I agreed to go check out consignment shops for cheap but fun and goofy dresses. Friday we all cooked together, or rather, I cooked while we all enjoyed Sangria. We made home made fajitas! I made chicken and steak, and we found tortillas that are authentic mexican and marked GF. We had guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, peppers of all colors, and salsa. They were DIVINE. I'm a brilliant chef, haha.

We spent the evening at Kitchener just hanging out with everyone. It was quite fun.

Saturday at 3, Kim and I mosied down to Grassmarket to check out Armstrongs, and found some very creepy nightgowns from the early 1900s, dresses from Little House on the Prairie, and neat accessories. But no good formal wear.

The guys all got their kilts, and plan on wearing them every day of the rental to get their money's worth. Kim and I plan on finding dresses before the 15th...the day of my birthday and the
Ceidilh. Matt told me that he realizes now why people can wear kilts in the cold wind of Scotland. 8 yards of fabric go into one kilt! They are too heavy for the wind to hike up, and very warm because, according to John, the "catch rising warm air". All the pieces that go into a kilt are...well, extensive. When I have photos, I will be sure to make an update about the special names for all the accesories.

That night, we went to Rosyth to hear one of John's friend's bands play. We took the train, which was fun (the bathroom on there is SO space aged, very neat) and then a cab to the Yard (the bar of the concert).

The bands were inspired by AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses. Very good. The title band, Rattlesnake Remedy, was absolutely brilliant. John's friend's band is called Magnus Blaze, and they were fabulous, too. John bought everyone their train tix, admission to the concert, drinks all night, and the cab back home to Edinburgh. I don't know how he does it--I tried to pay for my drinks and he wouldn't have it. He also through a huge Superbowl party with drinks and chips. Nice guy!

The ride home was funny because the cabbie was such a bitch. She didn't listen to her GPS and so she got lost, then yelled at us for not knowing where we were going. But it kind of made the night more exciting.

I am quite peeved that we have no heating or hot water. The guy who owns both David Horn and Kitchener turns off our hot water between noon and 5pm, and the heat is hardly EVER on. We wrote a petition but he refuses to change anything. It's probably something like 40 degrees in here. Ugh. And I had a cold shower today. Even more awful.

Anyway, photos have been updated, and things are going really well here. Four days till my birthday!! How exciting!!!!

I love it here, but today, because of my numb hands, freezing head and basically frigid room, I miss home.

In this post, let me recap on some of the people I've met so that the names are familiar:

John - He's from Glasgow, and is all-around just really hilarious. It's impossible not to laugh with him, and he's just so incredibly nice. Easily one of my new favorite people

Ross - Lives next door to John and is from somewhere in the UK. He has great taste in books and movies (including Labyrinth!) and has a wicked sense of humor.

Elian - One of the girls in Matt's dorm, she's really sweet and funny and I'm really glad I'm starting to get to know her. She's from Elgin, Scotland.

Vijay - Is the Hindu monk I mentioned earlier. He's fun to talk to because we can get into pretty good discussions.

Joanna - Also from somewhere in the UK, also in Matt's dorm, she's really cool and funny.

Daniel - Half Spanish, half Chinese, speaks American English but has never been to America. He's quite fun.

Jake - He's from California and is in my Art History class. We may travel with him over Spring Break this year.

Becca - From NewMexico, she's really fun! I love her laugh.

Tara - Becca's roomie and also from New Mexico.

Pablo - One of the many fun Spanish people I've met. He and the two Spanish girls Noellia, and Athada (sp) always cook dinner at the same time as me and Matt. Athada's birthday is on mine! She will also be 21.

Gosh, there's so many other people but I'm getting tired of typing them all, and I have to go grocery shopping in half an hour. I suppose I should just say that I'm met tons of people and I like them all...basically.

Oh, and my little sent me a card and magazine! She's the best!

-A-



PS: for a link to part of a video I took on my camera of Rattlesnake Remedy and a bluesy-rock song, click here:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/aHlUZm1lK3h6NE41VEE9PQ