Sunday, April 29, 2007

4 more weeks

Where did the time go?! It feels like just yesterday I was bumbling around the airport, confused and lost, not sure how the bus system worked, dreading finding how to grocery shop...and basically living like a fish out of water.

That didn't last long, but I still remember the feeling. Now, Edinburgh feels so comfortable, like a real home. I understand where the important things are, how to get there, and how much is a good price (especially considering the exchange rate is currently battering the dollar to death). I'm going to miss the people here SO much, not to mention the weather, the self-reliance and sufficiency I've learned, and the independence I've had. Really, this experience has given me total freedom, and I found that when faced with it, I still know who I am and how to conduct myself. It's a good feeling.

I took my first two exams on the 26th and 27th. EL2 was very easy, just two essay questions, both broad. The hardest part was fitting ALL my general knowledge into broad essay questions. My HA exam was a little more difficult, but even though I may have missed 11% of the exam, the rest was a piece of cake. My NH exam is May 18, but I'm giving myself a break before I begin studying for that.

The other day, Matt, Kim, Becca, Tara and I climbed Arthur's Seat. After sitting around after so much walking in Europe, I needed exercise, and suggested we all go up while the weather was still in the high 60s. It was so easy! I remember climbing it the first time and being SO winded and tired. This time was cake! Cheesecake, even.

Yesterday, Kim and I met at the foot of Arthur's to read, but the weather here is deceptive. Looking outside, it's sunny without a cloud in the sky. Then, you step out there and it's 50, but still, and by the time you walk to Arthur's you're warm and want to take off your jacket. Then, you sit down...and the wind comes up. Hard. And you're freezing. And so you leave...and on the walk home, get all warm again! So, so very frustrating.

Other than that, not too much is new, but I'll be happy to be home and VERY sad to leave everyone here. Maybe I can set up road trips/camping with some of the Americans I've met here.

4 weeks to go...

-A-

PS: some pics added to the "random" folder on my photobucket site.